Preparing For Weight Loss Surgery
General Medical Criteria for Weight Loss Surgery
- BMI equal to or greater than 40 or a BMI between 35 and 40 with comorbidities.
- 3-5 year documentation of BMI at the above ranges
- Five year history of failed diets
The precertification process for Weight Loss Surgery varies according to your insurance company’s requirements. Listed are general requirements.
Weight Loss Seminar
- All patients are required to attend one of our Weight Loss Surgery Seminars before scheduling a consultation for weight loss surgery.
Initial Office Visit
At this visit, your physician will explain the surgery in detail as well as the risks, benefits and alternatives. He will talk about what you should expect after your surgery. He will also discuss the BEGIN Program, the importance of nutrition, exercise and joining a local support group.
- Attend the BEGIN Program at the appointed time (this program must be completed prior to surgery).
Set up visit
- You will be seen by our physician to review your records, discuss the surgical procedure again, and answer any questions you have. Learn more about the Set up visit and the steps to surgery.
- You will be scheduled to see your doctor postoperatively at the following intervals – Learn more about these post-bariatric surgery visits